Hey James, thanks for maintaining pptpd for so many years. I know I'm
cranky when old software I use is removed just because it's no longer in
fashion. But we do try to move people to safer protocols and safer
programs over time.

  RM: Remove dangerously insecure MPPE PPTP from Ubuntu

Status in Release Notes for Ubuntu:
Status in network-manager-pptp package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in pptp-linux package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in pptpd package in Ubuntu:

  Remove dangerously insecure MPPE PPTP from Ubuntu

  https://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/protocol-security.phtml

  It has been dead for over 20 years now.

  Current Windows versions natively support IPSec and L2TP as much
  better alternatives.

  https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fwp/ipsec-
  configuration#how-to-use-wfp-to-configure-ipsec-policies

  https://learn.microsoft.com/en-US/troubleshoot/windows-
  server/networking/configure-l2tp-ipsec-server-behind-nat-t-device