** Also affects: linux-bluefield (Ubuntu Jammy)

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-bluefield in Ubuntu.

  mlxbf-gige: Vitesse PHY stuck in a bad state during reboot test

Status in linux-bluefield package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in linux-bluefield source package in Jammy:

  SRU Justification:

  [Impact]

  During the QA reboot test, the BF3 Vitesse PHY gets stuck in a bad state,
resulting in no ip provisioning. The only way to recover is to powercycle.
  We might have found a software workaround to avoid getting in this state in
the first place: suspend the PHY during graceful shutdown. Suspend the PHY =
Power down = set bit 11 to 1 in reg 0 of the PHY. This WA passed 1800 reboots
on QA's setup.

  [Fix]

  * During reboot, the mlxbf_gige_shutdown() function makes a call to
phy_stop(). phy_stop() calls phy_suspend().
  * Certain Linux PHY drivers, like the Vitesse PHY, don't support suspend() to
power down the PHY during shutdown.
  * Our Hardware also does not toggle the hard reset signal of the PHY during
reboot.
  * Hence, when the PHY is in a bad state, it stays in its bad state until
powercycle.
  * We have found a way to prevent the PHY from entering this bad state by
suspending the PHY in the case of reboot.

  [Test Case]

  * do the reboot test (at least 2000 reboots): run 'reboot' from linux.
  * Check that the oob_net0 interface is up and the ip is assigned.
  * please note that if the the OOB doesn't get an ip, try reloading the driver
(rmmod/modprobe). it that solves the issue, that would be a different bug. In
the bug at stake, nothing recovers the OOB ip except power cycle.

  [Regression Potential]

  * Make sure the redfish DHCP is still working during the reboot test
  * Make sure the OOB gets an ip

  [Other]

  These changes were made both in the mlxbf-gige driver and UEFI