This may have been mentioned already, but if you run Disk Utility (it's in
Applications / Utilities) do they appear in the sidebar? If greyed out you can
right-click on them and select "mount".  I do this with my external SSD as I
like to leave it plugged in but not mounted unless I'm actually using it.  My
Time Machine drives are always physically disconnected when I'm not using them.

Cheers,
Dave