On Thu, 16 May 2024 at 18:34, Michael S. Tsirkin <m...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 16, 2024 at 06:29:39PM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 May 2024 at 17:22, Daniel P. Berrangé <berra...@redhat.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Currently we have a short paragraph saying that patches must include
> > > a Signed-off-by line, and merely link to the kernel documentation.
> > > The linked kernel docs have a lot of content beyond the part about
> > > sign-off an thus are misleading/distracting to QEMU contributors.
> >
> > Thanks for this -- I've felt for ages that it was a bit awkward
> > that we didn't have a good place to link people to for the fuller
> > explanation of this.
> >
> > > This introduces a dedicated 'code-provenance' page in QEMU talking
> > > about why we require sign-off, explaining the other tags we commonly
> > > use, and what to do in some edge cases.
> >
> > The version of the kernel SubmittingPatches we used to link to
> > includes the text "sorry, no pseudonyms or anonymous contributions".
> > This new documentation doesn't say anything either way about
> > our approach to pseudonyms. I think we should probably say
> > something, but I don't know if we have an in-practice consensus
> > there, so maybe we should approach that as a separate change on
> > top of this patch.
>

> Well given we referred to kernel previously then I guess that's
> the concensus, no?

AIUI the kernel devs have changed their point of view on the
pseudonym question, so it's a question of whether we were
deliberately referring to that specific revision of the kernel's
practice because we agreed with it or just by chance...

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git/commit/?id=d4563201f33a022fc0353033d9dfeb1606a88330

is where the kernel changed to saying merely "no anonymous
contributions", dropping the 'pseudonyms' part.

-- PMM