Hi,

On 16/05/2023 01:30, krsg...@trixtar.org wrote:

Hello,

I have two tracks with drum segments on each that I assign
to the Hydrogen drum synth. Problem is that the sound output
is not Hydrogen but Grand Piano form the GM synth, just
yesterday this changed to BOTH the grand AND the drum kit
sounds seemingly depending on the staff note.

From what you describe it seems your two tracks are connected via ALSA MIDI to both Hydrogen _and_ some General Midi Synth.

I'm assuming you are connecting to Hydrogen and the 'GM synth' externally e.g. via QSynth? (i.e. not using DSSI within Rosegarden)

Unfortunately the MIDI device manager (Studio > Manage MIDI Devices) doesn't seem to report if a 'Playback' Rosegarden MIDI device is connected to multiple ALSA inputs.

However you could check this with something like QJackCtl via its connections tab (or graph in most recent versions is the default).

Here is a screenshot of how the connections could look like in a situation which could be similar to what you describe, where Rosegarden would be sending MIDI to both Fluidsynth with a general midi soundfont and Hydrogen together, thus you hearing both sounds:

https://gcdnb.pbrd.co/images/a9PBRwnxWq1L.png?o=1

[...]

Is there a rosegarden 'upload' facility where I could
upload the *.rg file consisting of just these 2 tracks?

Not that I know of, but I think some file sharing and pasting the link here would be OK. Still the RG file itself might not be helpful in understanding your issue because it most probably depends on what Rosegarden's MIDI 'output' is connecting to on your system (see above)

I've had issues before with notes not ending/closing,
is there a way to start a new track but paste the entire
staff and NOTHING but the staff notes to it?

This seems unrelated to the 'synth problem' you describe? Could you provide a bit more detail maybe?
Anyway from what I understand you have two options:

1.
To do what you describe I usually just copy / paste the segments (possibly all of them) from a track to the new one. Or, even better, clone them by doing CTRL + mouse-drag.

If you really want to make sure to get rid of anything but notes (and maybe musical elements like clefs) you can open the segment in the list editor. Select everything in the left-side filter except 'Notes' and 'Other'. Do CTRL + A (i.e. select all), and then 'DEL' (delete everything).

2.
Actually when copy/pasting stuff this also works:
- Select all notes in the notation or matrix editor. Copy (e.g. CTRL + C)
- Now go to the main window (segment / track view).
- Select the desired target track
- Paste

In this case AFAIK only notes are pasted (e.g. I'm quite sure Control changes are not...)

If you do it like this, do be careful of where the playhead is because this is where the first note will be pasted and if that not is _not_ at the start of the segment you will most probably have a mis-aligned segment ;-) - YMMV

Hope this helps.
Lorenzo

TIA