How about having rg rename the original file to have the current date/time, then saving the new. This way each time you save, you have a backup of the previous version. Over time it will generate a mess of files, but we could have it limit the number of backups to, say, 10 or so by deleting the oldest backup.

  Gnucash does this.

Another option would be to just keep a single previous version with a tilde "~" at the end of the file. This is a common approach and should be good enough for the situation you are describing.

  These seem more conventional and useful than a pop-up to me.

Ted.