Hi,

We've hired a contractor to work on this as part of:

https://foundation.gnome.org/2023/11/09/gnome-recognized-as-public-interest-infrastructure/

However no work has started yet. The first step will be to get a working portal:

https://github.com/flatpak/xdg-desktop-portal/issues/989

(Without a portal, WebKit would have to use libfido2 directly, which will be blocked by WebKit's bubblewrap sandbox or the flatpak sandbox. So there is no point to attempting that approach; it has to go via a portal.)

The portal might be a good place to start helping since it doesn't require modifying WebKit and we don't have a clear sense of direction regarding the portal yet. We need to figure out what the D-Bus API for the portal should look like. There is a "downstream" or experimental project xdg-credentials-portal that we might want to use as a basis, but we don't know exactly how. So commenting in that issue and trying to build consensus on what the API should look like could be a good way to push this forward.

Michael