From: Giovanna Fontenelle <gfontene...@wikimedia.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 4, 2024 1:00 PM
To: Wikimedia Mailing List <wikimedia-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
Cc: Sandra Fauconnier <sandra.fauconn...@gmail.com>
Subject: [Wikimedia-l] Launch of the course "OpenRefine for Wikimedia Commons:
the basics"

Hello!

We are happy to announce that there is now a free and publicly accessible
course on the learning platform, WikiLearn, on how to upload and edit files on
Wikimedia Commons using OpenRefine: OpenRefine for Wikimedia Commons: the
basics<https://learn.wiki/courses/course-v1:Wikimedia-Foundation+WMF_GLAM001+2023/about>.

OpenRefine<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/OpenRefine> is a free data-wrangling
tool that can be used to process, manipulate, and clean tabular (spreadsheet)
data and connect it with knowledge bases, including Wikidata and Wikimedia
Commons.

This online course is available at any time, for free. Anyone with a Wikimedia
account can enroll with the click of a button. It can be followed at your own
pace, with computer-graded exercises. A certificate is awarded at the end to
those who complete the course.

The training is suitable for Wikimedians, Wikimedia affiliate staff, and
partners (e.g. GLAM staff and Wikimedians in Residence). Accomplishing the
course should take an average of 6 to 8 hours.

This course was developed as part of the Wikimedia Foundation's training and
sustainability grant to
OpenRefine<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:OpenRefine/Training_2023-24>.
 It is currently available in English and can be easily translated into other
languages (more about the translation process
here<https://studio.learn.wiki/meta_translations/discover_courses/> and
here<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tutorial_on_how_to_translate_course_content_in_WikiLearn.webm>).
 Translations for this course in French, Spanish, and Portuguese are being
worked on and will be available very soon.

Please, feel free to share this course with people you think might be
interested in learning more about OpenRefine or Wikimedia Commons, who are part
of your network, in groups, social media, or any other places.

Thank you!

Best,
Giovanna & Sandra

[https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/9cMOAAZVx7CCnPDmWZIFBoHDi3zRNs3FpjMnAQ70G3zWVOH_OMRnvmf-ssH-qBmR-Q-umAaHaH0JJpSo04n8GelAqliPbb29aKQ35JObWA0SyPtji30qm94Ylv7JJWCCqwm_h7-g]