Aleksei Valikov wrote:
> Hi.
>

>> I am a newbie to Spring Security.
>>
>> I am interested to know if anyone has used Spring Security with Java
>> Persistence API to provide authentication, access control /
>> authorization to database transactions where db access is via Java
>> Persistence API.
>>
>> My search in the archives did not yield any thing like that so I would
>> appreciate some guidance.
>>

> What exactly you are up to?
>
> The simplest entry point I can imagine is implementing a JPA-based
> UserDetailsService. This service returns a user (UserDetails) with his
> rights (GrantedAuthority[]).
>
> But I guess you have something more complex in mind. Could you maybe
> describe a usage scenario?

Here is a simple use case to put my app's requirements in perspective:

    * My data is stored in a RDBMS and accessed via Java Persistence API
    * I want to use Spring Security for pluggable authentication
    * I need to use XACML for fine-grained custom Role based Access
      Control (RBAC)
    * When a client request is processed I want to:
          o Get the list of objects that will be impacted by the
            request. This is likely where I need some hooks into the
            database to place interceptors in the db transaction
            processing pipeline
          o Get the principal associated with the request
          o For each object impacted do access control check based on
            associated XACML Access Control Policy

XACML-based authorization is more complex than simply whether a
principal has access to a particular row in a table. For example access
may be granted or denied based upon values of certain attribute in a row
or even values in attributes of a row that is referenced by the row
being impacted.

I am trying to understand how I would implement this. My knowledge of
Spring Security is pretty limited at present and I cannot see yet what
is  a JPA-based UserDetailService and how it might help my use case.

Thanks for any additional guidance I can get on address my use case with
Spring Security.

--
Regards,
Farrukh