I'm with you on the IDEA thing of course :)

I see you're point on the eclipse plugin. Unfortunately it lacks an
"eclipse:classpath" goal, there is only "eclipse:eclipse" which
generates a .project file as well.

For an IDEA project you can do "idea:module" or "idea:idea", you don't
get the same functionality for eclipse (but isn't that always the case
:P).

Ooh, here's an idea!
Have Maven generate a new .classpath file and check that in.