Ben,
   Excellent, sounds like a well thought-out plan towards 1.0.
   I'd recommend an "in-between" approach for the container adapters.  I
agree that including lightly-used, non-portable modules in the main
distribution can lead to expectations that they be maintained as fully as the
core.  However, there is potentially a lot of value in having them available
with documentation and samples, and you never know which of them may become
heavily used over the next year.
   As you already know, app security is a big problem space that Acegi helps
a lot with, but everyone historically has taken different approaches to the
problem so there's a lot to think through when incorporating Acegi into their
project (add to that Spring IoC/DI - something new to most developers).  The
good thing is that container adapters, documentation and samples can help a
lot with the initial learning curve since it helps the developer get a
working prototype up and running faster in the environment they need to
operate in, and I'd posit that there will be a handful of popular ones to
boil out over 2005, probably including Siteminder (but that may just be my
own environment talking).
   So what's a middle-ground?  Perhaps keep them in the same project, but
distribute them out into separate, optional JARs, a la Hibernate-Tools and
document them in addendums of the main reference, and then clarify that these
are platform-dependant without official owners, so they aren't considered
part of the core product.  Not a bad idea to try to pin an owner on each one
nonetheless...  Just thinking out loud - take or discard as you wish...!
   Scott

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:53:04 +1100, Ben Alex wrote