I just reposted the code and have included a DaoPortletAuthoritiesPopulator which is essentially a duplicate of DaoCasAuthoritiesPopulator.

Thanks again for the feedback!

John

Ben Alex wrote:

John Lewis wrote:

- You are correct that the portlet container performs the authentication and then provides a String username to portlets running within the portlet container. It is very similar to CAS and X509 and I modeled the code after those two quite a bit. Unfortunately, the JSR-168 spec completely delegates the authentication to the portlet-container and does not provide a standard way to plug an authentication mechanism into it. Of course, a portlet container implementation could use Acegi directly (I believe that the Gridsphere team is considering this in the near future). I have not created a default implementation of PortletAuthoritiesPopulator at this point. The only authorities mechanism in JSR-168 is the same isUserInRole method as in the Servlet spec. I suppose we could create a default PortletAuthoritiesPopulator that could be configured with a list of roles to check.

It seems a very common requirement for a separate system to authenticate a user and provide only a String-based username to an application. This is seen with CAS, X509, Portlets and a range of external authentication services. Therefore, it would seem desirable to offer a generic equivalent to CasAuthoritiesPopulator/X509AuthoritiesPopulator.

Cheers