Tēnā koutou,

Registration for the 2024 ADA Symposium is now open;
https://ada.net.nz/events/rising-algorithms/
https://www.eventbrite.com/cc/rising-algorithms-3248939

Aotearoa Digital Arts Network Symposium, 'Rising Algorithms: Navigate, Automate, Dream'
22 - 26 May 2024
Te Whanganui-a-Tara / Wellington and online

Who is listening? How did it know? Where to next?
The Aotearoa Digital Arts Network (ADA) is delighted to announce the full lineup of events for its 2024 symposium 'Rising Algorithms: Navigate, Automate, Dream'.

'Rising Algorithms: Navigate, Automate, Dream'_ _explores the increasing sophistication of machine learning and artificial intelligence, its growing accessibility for artists and the general consumer, and its influence on wider society as we navigate complex environmental, social and economic issues worldwide. In our digitally ubiquitous era, we ask if technology can solve the wicked problems of our time or if it is exacerbating them? How have powerful machine learning-driven tools impacted contemporary cultural production? How are artists in Aotearoa navigating this shifting landscape?

Over one week in Wellington artists, technologists, and critical thinkers will delve into these questions, all with a spirit of open enquiry guided by the symposium's three themes, navigate, automate, and dream.

Wellingtonians will be able to discover the landscape of art, machine learning and AI through a wide range of creative experiences and approaches. These include a new, site-responsive commission from Julian Oliver popping up on rooftops around the city, group exhibitions at The Engine Room and null gallery, online artworks, and a performance evening at Vogelmorn Community Precinct.

Those who want to explore the creative possibilities of AI tools will have an opportunity to learn through hands-on workshops at TwoFiftySeven on Friday 24 May.

Finally, over the weekend of 25 - 26 May, a full program of symposium talks and panel discussions will take place at the Te Aro campus of Te Herenga Waka. The two day program will explore the breadth of our creative and critical engagement with machine learning. As part of our weekend program, ADA will present three keynote discussions led by Julian Oliver, Eugene Hansen (Maniopoto) and Emele Ugavule (Tokelau, Fiji).

'Rising Algorithms: Navigate, Automate, Dream'_ _is made possible with the support of our presenting partner Toi Hourua and funding from Creative New Zealand and Wellington City Council. Our symposium venues have been made possible through the generosity of Te Herenga Waka--Victoria University of Wellington, Vogelmorn Community, and TwoFiftySeven. Exhibition partners include The Engine Room at Massey University, null gallery and Urban Dream Brokerage.

We look forward to seeing you in May!

Ngā mihi,
ADA Board of Trustees and convening committee