Uhm, I forgot to add the mail I was refering to, by Adam Winer:

<< Adam:
Hey, BTW, what happens with java-templates:  we
autogenerate almost all our component (and a number of
other) .java files.  However, when there needs to
be some non-auto-generated, manual code, we put
that in java-templates.  So UIXCommandTemplate.java
automatically gets merged into the generated UIXCommand.java
file.

One of the cool things about the technique Trinidad uses
is that UIXCommandTemplate.java is actually a fully
valid .java file - so you can add it to an IDE and
compile it, etc., to make sure it's valid.  But it's
ignored at runtime, and not in our JAR - only the
merged UIXCommand is.