Your impression is kind of correct...
(see http://www.apache.org/dev/reporting-issues.html)
Which states that the private list needs to be cc'ed, the problem with JIRA is
that it is not a mail
 , so it's hard to cc the private list.. You can trigger response in a couple
of ways : 1) add
threads to the issue pointing to the decision being made (although you move the
work to the
infrastructure team to investigate if the request is legit) or 2) Ask the chair
to confirm the
request in Jira 3) Let the PMC Chair make the request. On a couple of occasions
I had to confirm an
infra request to spark action.

Mvgr,
Martin