----- Forwarded message from Dave Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -----

Mailing-List: contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]; run by ezmlm
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 15:58:31 -0500
From: Dave Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Lucas Vogel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CC: "'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: GNU and classified software

Lucas Vogel wrote:

> Can GNU tools be used in the creation/use/distribution of classified
> software?

Yes, and it is.  Here's evidence:
http://www2.linuxjournal.com/lj-issues/issue61/3394.html

Marjorie: Who is using Perl and how are they using it?

Larry: A couple of years ago, I ran into someone at a trade show who was
representing the NSA (National Security Agency). He mentioned to someone
else in passing
that he'd written a filter program in Perl, so without telling him who I
was, I asked him if I could tell people that the NSA uses Perl. His
response was, ``Doesn't
everyone?'' So now I don't tell people the NSA uses Perl. I merely tell
people the NSA thinks everyone uses Perl. They should know, after all.

As an interesting side note, it turned out this fellow was the very
administrator who shut down the NSA project Perl was (indirectly)
written to support. He was
vaguely amused when I pointed out Perl might well be the most enduring
legacy of the project.
<<

--
-Dave Turner                                 Stalk me:  (215)-545-2859
<pug> Wait, you're right, I'm thinking of the Ankh-Morpork Assassin's

----- End forwarded message -----