From: AF <af-boun...@af.afmug.com> On Behalf Of fiber...@mail.com
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 12:25 AM
To: af@af.afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] router recommendations for 20gbps

> Currently running a pair of mikrotik ccr1036 routers doing ~6gbps
> each, have two 10gbps transits and would like to upgrade to something that
> possibly has 40g ports, I really want to stick with mikrotik but I like the
> idea of having redundant routing engines, I just don't know if it's in the
> budget...
  Every time this comes up on NANOG the concensus is to get a Juniper MX204
(20k+). If you don't need full tables, get an Arista 7050 for about a grand.

> I suppose I can build a beefy x86 with a pci-e 40g card?
  Purportedly Netgate's TSNR will do this. $400 per 10G of throughput per year.

  If you don't want to pay for a product, I guess you can spitball something
together with FRR, VPP/DPDK. Nothing that routes with the kernel will do 10G+
at wirespeed PPS.

  BTW, why do you want to do 40G? Nobody I know will sell you transit at 40G.
It's 10G or 100G.

Jared