From: AF <af-boun...@af.afmug.com> On Behalf Of Ken Hohhof
Sent: Sunday, December 15, 2019 10:01 AM
To: 'AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group' <af@af.afmug.com>
Subject: [AFMUG] Mikrotik Audience mesh router

I totally missed the existence of this product and apparently the US version is
actually shipping.

Has anyone tried them out?  Typical of mesh systems, it doesn't have a full
complement of Ethernet ports, but 2 is better than 1 like some of the mesh
products out there.

It's less expensive than a 4011, but it's pretty and has easy mesh setup.  A
4011 is currently my best Mikrotik family choice for whole home WiFi coverage
in large homes,  but it's overkill for most customers, who typically don't need
anything close to 10 GigE ports, the 4011 also gets pretty hot, and it's
expensive.

Rarely in customer homes can we run cables to additional routers and use
CAPsMAN, and the Mikrotik powerline networking product has been disappointing.
Am I missing something about the easy mesh setup?  Is this something I could do
with hAP ac or 4011 routers if I just learned how?  The "Audience" product has
two 5 GHz radios and apparently uses U-NII-1 for clients and the upper bands
for backhaul between mesh units.

I'm hoping since this runs the regular Mikrotik OS that you don't really have
to use a phone and the Audience app to set it up and can just use Winbox from
an Ethernet port.  That's something I dislike about most customer purchased
mesh systems like Google/Nest or Eero, you need an app on your phone and to set
up a Google or Eero cloud account, so it's not really something our installers
are going to want to set up for the customer.