312-205-2519 Office
574-220-7826 Cell
jbroadw...@cticonnect.com

On Feb 20, 2024, at 1:06 PM, Ken Hohhof <khoh...@kwom.com> wrote:

I think I’ve got some of the Valmont ones on the shelf.  Like everything from SitePro1, they are huskier than they look in the catalog.

From: AF <af-boun...@af.afmug.com> On Behalf Of dmmoff...@gmail.com
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2024 11:40 AM
To: 'AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group' <af@af.afmug.com>
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Wood Pole Mount

+1 to both of those suggestions.

  • I’ve seen plenty of universal mounts attached to a wooden pole (J-arms, J-pipes, or whatever you want to call them).
  • Rohn WM4 is the name brand galvanized 4” wall mount, but there are a thousand copies out there.  Just watch out for zinc plating or other BS finishes.  I’m sure Channel Master is fine.

One other thing, you’re not supposed to drill into the top surface of a wooden pole because rain will pool in the holes and speed up rotting.  You’re also not supposed to drill the sides within so many inches of the top (4” maybe? I don’t recall).  That’s why those pole-top mounts you see are straddling the top and have bolt holes farther down.  If you put a galvanized pipe into one of those wall mounts then you can have your mast above the top and also not be putting hardware at the top.  Electric/phone companies won’t like that solution because it uses more vertical real estate, but if it’s just a light pole then it ought not be a problem.

If you do want something heavy duty that won’t break the bank then look at the Site Pro version of the WM4:

https://www.sitepro1.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=1218

https://valmont-sitepro1-cdn.s3.amazonaws.com/spec-sheet/HDWM04%20(Assembly).pdf

I don’t know the thickness of the steel stock, but the Channel Master one weighs 1 pound and the Site Pro one weighs 6.8 pounds, so I’m sure it’s sufficiently burly for most equipment.

-Adam