On Wednesday 03 October 2007 03:47:31 pm, Bob Mottram wrote:
> On 03/10/2007, Richard Loosemore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > RSI is not necessary for human-level AGI.
>
> I think it's too early to be able to make a categorical statement of
> this kind.  Does not a new born baby recursively improve its thought
> processes until it reaches "human level" ?

Indeed. It also depends on the definition of "human-level" AI, which is so
vague and is taken to mean so many different things by different people that
I urge it be avoided in favor of something like "diahuman" instead (diahuman
meaning moving across the human range, but with the connotation of having
different, possibly wildly different, strengths and weaknesses).

As for the question, it's problematical. Surely the baby learns recursively in
a sense; e.g. it learns language and then uses language to learn other stuff.
But there remains the possibility that the Piagetan or similar learning
stages are due to a pre-programmed sequence of representations / learning
algorithms, instead of each new one being learned by the last. If I had to
guess, I'd say it's a mix, since we do have these identifiable stages, but in
the end we wind up with a wide variety of sometimes incompatible world
models.

Josh