On Wed, 2 Nov 2022 at 10:25, John Horne <john.ho...@plymouth.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 2022-11-01 at 14:27 +0100, Hannes von Haugwitz wrote:
> >
> > Additionally I'm looking for feedback about the prelink timeout issue
> > addressed by pull request #42 [PR#42]. Note that the original patch
> > dates back to 2010 and needs major changes to apply against the latest
> > code base. If you are affected by this issue and are willing to
> > volunteer for testing a refactored patch, please report back to the
> > issue.
> >
> Hello,
>
> I submitted that timeout patch, but given that it is over 10 years old I'm
> not
> too surprised it doesn't just slot in to the current code :-)
>
> My understanding though was that prelinking was now basically deprecated.
> We
> used to use it on CentOS 6 and partly with 7, but, as far as I remember,
> the
> general advice was then not to use it (no real advantage in using it). So
> we
> haven't used it since a year or two after the patch. As far as I can tell
> it no
> longer exists with RedHat 8 or 9. Although RedHat/CentOS 7 still has it,
> the
> O/S is in maintenance mode, and, like us, I suspect people are upgrading
> those
> servers within the next couple of years. So even if they are using
> prelinking,
> it will only be for a relatively short while longer (and I can't actually
> remember anyone else mentioning over the years that they have a
> timeout/hang
> problem).

Yeah. I don't think any RHEL (or clone) since 7 has used it. Fedora dropped
it about 6 to 8 years ago and I believe other operating systems did so also
as it caused a lot of issues. EL7 ends support in 2024 and I don't think it
would be useful to continue it.

> John.
>
> --
> John Horne | Senior Operations Analyst | Technology and Information
> Services
> University of Plymouth | Drake Circus | Plymouth | Devon | PL4 8AA | UK
> ________________________________
> [http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/images/email_footer.gif]<
> http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/worldclass>
>
> This email and any files with it are confidential and intended solely for
> the use of the recipient to whom it is addressed. If you are not the
> intended recipient then copying, distribution or other use of the
> information contained is strictly prohibited and you should not rely on it.
> If you have received this email in error please let the sender know
> immediately and delete it from your system(s). Internet emails are not
> necessarily secure. While we take every care, University of Plymouth
> accepts no responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan
> emails and their attachments. University of Plymouth does not accept
> responsibility for any changes made after it was sent. Nothing in this
> email or its attachments constitutes an order for goods or services unless
> accompanied by an official order form.

Stephen J Smoogen.
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.
-- Ian MacClaren