From: Can <can-boun...@ietf.org> On Behalf Of LUIS MIGUEL CONTRERAS MURILLO
Sent: 13 February 2023 07:20
To: Peng Liu <liupeng...@chinamobile.com>; adrian <adr...@olddog.co.uk>; jgs
<j...@juniper.net>
Cc: can <c...@ietf.org>; Cheng Li <c.l=40huawei....@dmarc.ietf.org>; Joel M.
Halpern <j...@joelhalpern.com>; 'alto@ietf.org' <alto@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Can] Clean copy CAN charter updated

Hi all,

(adding ALTO mailing list for this comment)

My apologies since I couldn’t go through this during the weekend.

One comment from my side. Since ALTO is explicitly mentioned in the charter,
I think it would be fair to differentiate this work wrt ALTO work in
relation with network and compute information (due to the fact that there
are some individual drafts in ALTO dealing from long with the joint exposure
of network and compute information).

As mentioned in the proposed charter, CAN solution can take the decision on
“… integrate both network and compute conditions in the optimization
function …”, while ALTO could be one of the solutions that precisely expose
the combined network and compute conditions. So, CAN could act on top of
ALTO’s information.

I think they are not exclusive, but could be complementary in the mission of
taking into consideration network and compute information (apart from other
differences that is not worthy to detail for the purpose of chartering CAN).

I would simply add the sentence that “Exposure of network and compute
conditions to applications is not in the scope of CAN” in this way:

OLD

The IETF has done past work on exposing network conditions to endpoints
(notably ALTO) and load balancing/service selection at layers 4 and 7 (for
example, related to the selection of SIP servers). Specific characteristics
that may distinguish CAN from other work include the desire to integrate
both network and compute conditions in the optimization function, and the
desire to operate that function on nodes within the service provider's
network, logically separated from service operation. As part of its work,
the CAN WG will seek advice and expertise from the ART and TSV areas.

NEW

The IETF has done past work on exposing network conditions to endpoints
(notably ALTO) and load balancing/service selection at layers 4 and 7 (for
example, related to the selection of SIP servers). Specific characteristics
that may distinguish CAN from other work include the desire to integrate
both network and compute conditions in the optimization function, and the
desire to operate that function on nodes within the service provider's
network, logically separated from service operation. Exposure of network and
compute conditions to applications is not in the scope of CAN. As part of
its work, the CAN WG will seek advice and expertise from the ART and TSV
areas.

Best regards, and apologies for this late comment.

Luis