I know this because I work on android.widget and android.view :)

Anyway, you could simply set the padding programmatically but define
all the padding values in an XML file, like a dimens.xml, and extra
these values. This is not perfect but at least you don't hardcode your
padding.

The reason why setting an image resets the padding is because 9-patch
images can encode padding. If missing, we assume a padding of 0.

--
Romain Guy
www.curious-creature.org