I'm going to skip the personal insults aimed at me (which will make
this a short reply).

The dictionary.com definition of obsolete says; "of a discarded or
outmoded type; out of date", which, as the G1 is no longer on sale as
an unlocked developer 'phone and has no officially supported firmware
which provide any of the last 3 versions of Android, seems to fit
pretty well to me.

As for prices; I didn't realise T-Mo US were hammering the price up
that much. In the UK you can get the new Pulse for around US$150 which
is within 30% of what G1s go for on eBay (and is cheaper than some
eBayers Buy It Now G1 prices).

I guess we're not going to agree, and nothing you've said has swayed
me to recommending the G1 as a 'phone for new developers, so I'll
guess we'll agree to disagree and let the OP choose which of our
personal opinions he finds more useful.

Al.