I am guessing that the "/mnt" in your example is where you're mounting
the
SD card image on your computer.  Your Android device doesn't typically
have
a /mnt directory.  You may find your card is mounted at the root,
e.g., the
path /sdcard/file.xml may exist.  The *proper* way to figure this out
is to call
Environment.getExternalStorageDirectory(), which avoids any device-to-
device
differences or assumptions.