On Jan 21, 3:06 am, Zsolt Vasvari <zvasv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to know whether a phone has a Search button or not?  I
> believe Search is optional and not all phones have it.  I would like
> to hide my UI elements for invoking search if I could determine the
> presence of the hard button.

Search buttons are a SHOULD, not a MUST.

However, many people assume that the standard HOME/BACK/MENU buttons
are always a hard button outside the screen area.  This is not
required.

http://source.android.com/compatibility/index.html

8.7. Navigation keys

The Home, Menu and Back functions are essential to the Android
navigation paradigm. Device implementations MUST make these
functions available to the user at all times, regardless of
application state. These functions SHOULD be implemented via
dedicated buttons. They MAY be implemented using software,
gestures, touch panel, etc., but if so they MUST be always
accessible and not obscure or interfere with the available
application display area. Device implementers SHOULD also provide
a dedicated search key. Device implementers MAY also provide send
and end keys for phone calls.

One example is the Barnes & Noble NOOKcolor, which has a physical
HOME button, but shows screen buttons for MENU and BACK on their
notifications area when they think it's appropriate.  Obviously
the company wants to minimize the Android-ness and focus on the
prominent "Home" book reading activity, but they are arguably
still in compliance with the above standard.  Some users
have added third-party solutions for more permanent onscreen
buttons, or rooted the keyboard config to change the volume
buttons into permanent MENU/BACK buttons.

I don't think you're going to find a standard way of discovering
whether there is a SEARCH button, and if there is, whether it is
a hard or a soft screen button.  These may even be a globally
recognized touch or shake gesture, and still fall within the
bounds of the requirement above.