On Jan 21, 3:35 pm, Dianne Hackborn <hack...@android.com> wrote:
> (1) NOOK is not a compatible device.

Dianne, I generally value your feedback on this group, it's always
very
informative.  However, I'd have to ask what you consider to be the
definition of "compatible" here.  What part of the CDD does the
NOOKcolor
device miss?  I note a lack of microphone, phone, and camera, but
otherwise seems to meet all the other Core Application Intents and
hardware.  I think the Core Application Intents will probably drop
camera and phone requirements for future devices like televisions,
so I don't think we can go by that.  The CDD does not say that the
application must include a Market app.  The CDD also specifically
says that the HOME/MENU/BACK buttons do not need to be hard buttons,
and the NOOKcolor does make them available in soft form without
obscuring the current activity... all as the CDD requires.

I think it's disingenuous to say that a device built on Android which
has all of the core intents and hardware is "not compatible."  There
are
surely some growing pains with all tablets, as the first tablet-
focused
build of Android is still making its way to release.  I've been able
run a very wide variety of paid and free Android software.  A few have
some bugs because the author made bad assumptions as to DPI versus
pixel real estate vs aspect ratio.  Most authors have done enough
testing with the emulator's "design a device" features that the apps
run flawlessly on surprise contenders like the NOOKcolor.

I'd hate for the definition of "compatible" to be reduced to
contractual
distinctions such as the lack of the Android(tm) brand in the
marketing
materials, or an included Google Android Market app.  That would be
about as silly as the dalvik dodge that Android's not running Java.