Jeffrey,

To what Peter said, mobile devices are very fill-rate-limited (at
least these current gen of phones) so depending on how you are
repainting that image over and over and over again to the Canvas, that
could explain the speed issue.

If you tried a tiny little 16x16 icon and it went much faster with the
same code, then I think you've found your culprit.

Regardless, Peter's approach sounds like the right way; upload image
data to the GPU one, then just move your "view" of it around in a
circle, panning across the image.