Thanks Pepijn,

I am overriding onCreateInputConnection (and onCheckIsTextEditor) although
neither of these give me per-keytap events - from what I have read,
onKeyDown/Up only give per-keytap event signals on hard keyboards, not soft.

I did find out about the TextWatcher class from
http://www.mail-archive.com/android-developers@googlegroups.com/msg10100.html.
You can attach it with the
addTextChangedListener<http://developer.android.com/reference/android/widget/TextView.html#addTextChangedListener(android.text.TextWatcher)>
(TextWatcher<http://developer.android.com/reference/android/text/TextWatcher.html>
watcher)
method of TextView.  But I have yet a different problem with this;  I get
events per tap on the keyboard
when subclassing EditText, but not TextView (and the exact same code, just
changing what I subclass).  But, EditText brings alot of baggage that I
don't want, like the current position marker, etc.  Anyone know why this
would be?