I have the following in the XML
<TableLayout android:id="@+id/TableLayout01"
    android:layout_width="fill_parent"
    android:layout_height="fill_parent"
    android:scrollbars="vertical"
    android:scrollbarSize="20dp"
    android:scrollbarAlwaysDrawVerticalTrack="true"
    android:stretchColumns="*">
    <TableRow>
      <ListView
        android:id="@+id/main_list"
        android:layout_width="wrap_content"
        android:layout_height="wrap_content"
        android:smoothScrollbar="true"
        android:fastScrollEnabled="true"
        android:scrollbars="vertical"
        android:scrollbarStyle="insideInset"
        android:scrollbarSize="20dip"
        android:textColor="#00ee00"></ListView>
    </TableRow>
  </TableLayout>

I add the items dynamically from a database using

private ListView  listView = null;
listView = (ListView) findViewById(R.id.main_list);
listView.setChoiceMode(ListView.CHOICE_MODE_MULTIPLE);

It shows a very narrow scrollbar.
But the list does not scroll and the scroll bar has no effect, which I click
the scrollbar to move it
the scrollbar fades away.  any Ideas ?

Thanks in advance