Hello Sisters and Brothers!:)

I have a little noise in my brain about the different xml layouts type
depends on screen, if anyone would help to make it clear, I`m becoming
so greatful:)

 I have to write an application which have to run on tablet and on
phone too. It is not a problem, because I would use this tutorial:
http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/screens_support.html#DeclaringTabletLayouts

but I there is one more thing: The layouts have to be different, for
example if the code is running on tablet there have to be 4 button on
the top bar, and if we are using a phone only 2. How can I handle this
case in the level of Activities ? I understand that, I'm able to make
different GUI xml depending on the actual screen size, but I don`t
know how to handle the cases, `coz I`m think I`m going to go a
nullpointer exception when I`m trying to read a tablet gui in an
activity which was designed for phone?! Have I right? May anyone has a
good idea or tutorial?

Thank you, Karoly
from Hungary