This is something I really can't understand. Why can't the android
engineers give us a way to create custom views for appwidgets? Diane
Hackborn argues not to abuse them and yet why does she care? After all
it's up to the user to decide if the impact on the experience is worth
it or not. If they don't like their experience being affected they'll
remove the widget. Really brings home the point Steve Yegge (http://
steverant.pen.io/) said about google's arrogance and that android
engineers are designing the perfect product because they know better
than the users and developers that support them.

I'm not concerned with the ipc limit since I use a file and send the
uri to the remoteview. But I do ask why can't android (Diane?) add
information like the current size of an appwidget, add a
callback(intent) for when it is resized and add data for the touch x/y
when a widget's pending intent is called? With those three additions
it becomes very easy to create an image that acts as a custom view. Of
course I'm open to better ideas too, like allowing an application to
run normally but as a launcher widget...