In my experience, WeakReferences are collected quite aggressively by
Android 2.3 and higher.

Haven't had a problem with non-static inner classes -- I don't think those
are always a memory leak, it all depends on the lifespan duration of the
inner object instances.

I think MAT is a great tool for tracking down stuff. I'm always careful to
force GC in DDMS a few times (monitoring logcat output, until GC collects,
basically, nothing). This makes the picture a lot clearer.

In MAT, I usually start by looking at the object histogram, and applying
filters by my package name or a specific class.

-- K

---
"Android Developers" group.