Hi,

There seems to be a fairly common issue seen on Android 5.0 and 5.1:

System battery stats reporting really high percentage of battery use for
some apps, seemingly at random, and then --

 -- a reasonable "wake lock" time and a much higher "mobile radio active"
time. The "wake lock" value may be in the minutes, and this "mobile radio"
value in the hours.

This metric is new in 5.0, and supposedly is the time spent by the app
talking specifically to the mobile network, keeping the radio in high power
state.

It has been reported by my users for my app, but then searching the
Internet finds cases of other apps as well, including Google's own.

In my app, I know there is always a wake lock when it's talking to the
network, so this just doesn't make sense.

I assume most if not all other apps are the same way.

I have collected some screenshots here and have a hard time believing that
all these apps have the same bug, and actually (by mistake) hold some sort
of "mobile radio" lock, and in any case, I'm not aware of a way to do that
for mobile data.

http://www.aqua-mail.com/forum/index.php?topic=3326.msg16869#msg16869

This one has screenshots of this issue in Google Play Services and
Hangouts. This is immediately after the device got the official OTA 5.0.2
update, and it never had any of my own apps installed (and no third party
apps at all):

http://www.aqua-mail.com/forum/index.php?topic=3326.msg16845#msg16845

There are discussions on Reddit as well and other forums, including Google
Product forums...

But I have not found a bug report in the Android tracker that's focused on
this specific metric, just more general "battery drain on Nexus with
5.*..." discussions.

Are others seeing this too?

What are your conclusions?

To me, this looks like a system code issue, maybe the modem software not
getting shut down into low power state, or maybe the metric has some subtle
twist, like the time used by other apps may be counted towards the app that
caused the initial mobile data transmission... but minutes and hours,
really?

-- K

---
"Android Developers" group.