It has been a few years now that Google released the platform development
Kit  (PDK)

When are we going to see manufacturers start updating their hardware to run
the latest versions of android ?
OR when are we going to see Google pressure manufacturers to update their
hardware.

When Google purchase Motorola Mobility I thought this would be great. Sadly
it has meant nothing, nothing at all and developers are still the worse for
it.

It constantly seems you buy an android device with the latest OS and then a
new version of android comes out and your hardware becomes obsolete because
the manufacturer does NOT release an update for it

Case in point purchased a Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 it is stuck at KitKat
 because no update has been made.
Thus all the nice features in Lollipop ,  Marshmallow and N are basically
useless because the manufacture couldn't be bother to take care of their
users.

When is Google going to put a stop to this ?  When ?

Here is my 2c proposal

for devices 5 years or newer.
If the device is running the latest version of android the manufacturer
pays a license fee of  $  0.05 per device in operation
if the device is running the latest version - 1             the
manufacturer pays a license fee of  $  5.00 per device in operation
if the device is running the latest version - 2             the
manufacturer pays a license fee of  $15.00 per device in operation
if the device is running the latest version - 3+           the manufacturer
pays a license fee of $ 30.00 per device in operation

We all have access to the figures that tells us the number of devices
running which version of android.

Basically if the manufacturer is not willing or able to update THEIR own
hardware with the latest version of android they need to pay extra
Either that or Google needs to only release a new version of android every
4 years  HEAVENS NO ! ! ! !

Would like to hear what other developers think,
Also what Google plans to do ?

Thanks in advance

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-developers/aebf1c78-3515-4c48-aeb1-6c43682c366d%40googlegroups.com.