Heya Shane,

I've had a similar problem with gradients applied to backgrounds, what
I found the issue was, was I had didn't have the drawables in the
correct dpi folder.

While I know your not using a drawable it might be worth looking into
whether changing the AndroidManifest file to state your app handles
different screen sizes.

I don't know if this is the problem, especially considering the dialog
view working, but it might be worth a try:

// Add just underneath the Manifest tag

<supports-screens
          android:largeScreens="true"
          android:normalScreens="true"