Dear Colleagues,

As you know, the General Assembly session has begun and Libertarians around the
state are watching many bills that either enhance or threaten our remaining
liberties.  There are some promising bills on four fronts already:

pharmacologist, as I recall, first elected in the seventies).  HOUSE BILL NO.
1134 < http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?101+ful+HB1134>, would
decriminalize marijuana possession and greatly reduce penalties for related
offenses.  This is the best bill that I've seen in the Assembly since the
reform act of 1979.  I'm going to be quite busy, and logistics will be a major
issue.  Please let my fellow LP members know I'll be active during the session,
and that I issue an email report as often as possible.  Anyone who would like
to be added to my 'General Assembly Freedom Update' can simply drop me a note:

        "Roy B. Scherer" <rsche...@lairhaven.com> or
<mailto:rsche...@lairhaven.com?subject=gaupdate_request>

Confidentiality guaranteed."

*************************************
2.  GUN LAWS
*************************************

The Libertarian Party is the only choice at the ballot box when it comes to
100% support of the right of people to own & bear arms as a matter of basic
human rights.  Many Libertarians work with the Virginia Citizens Defense
League, the state's pre-eminent voice for gun rights, to persuade lobbyists,
the media, and citizens in general that guns save lives.  Please take a few
minutes and sign up for VCDL's email alerts, which during session, come at a
rapid clip (it's not VCDL's fault!):

        http://www.vcdl.org/static/va-alert.html

*************************************
3.  ABOLISHING TAXES
*************************************

One thing is floating around the General Assembly this time that took me by
surprise: There seems to be some sentiment afoot to abolish Virginia's
Corporate Income Tax.  While I'd much prefer to see the Virginia individual
income tax abolished, I'll take any tax abolition I can get.  Besides, as we
Mundanes know, corporations pay no taxes.  Only consumers do -- soa  repeal of
the corporate income tax direcly benefits consumers.

Bob Marcellus, a Richmond hedge-fund manager who served on the transition
team's economic development work group, originally pushed the idea.  Del. Bob
Purkey, R-Virginia Beach, introduced the bill to eliminate the tax.

The bill will have a tough row to hoe.  Even if the proposal passes the
Republican-controlled House, Senate Majority Leader Richard Saslaw, D-Fairfax,
has said publicly that he and his fellow Democrats in the Senate favor
continuing the annual state theft of private money.

Further reading:

http://www.lp.org/news/press-releases/libertarian-%E2%80%9Cprosperity-plan%E2%80%9D-repeals-income-tax-ends-corporate-welfare

*************************************
4.  LIFESTYLE ISSUES
*************************************

In 2008, The Libertarian Party of Virginia worked with Equality Virginia as
part of the Commonwealth Coalition in an effort to defeat the Marshall/Newman
Amendment.  In 2009, Equality Virginia is back on the front lines again, and
once again there are Libertarians working with them to convince legislators to
make sure all Virginians are treated equally under the law.

EqualityVirginia will be sponsoring its Lobby Day on Tuesday, February 2, 2010.
 Join more than 200 members and activists from across the state to lobby
legislators on bills important to the GLBT community.  This year EV has added a
Virtual Lobby Day option for those of you who would like to participate but
can't make it to Richmond for the day.

http://www.equalityvirginia.org/

*************************************

In the coming days, as we discover areas where we have common cause with other
single-interest groups, we will review them as well.

But in the meantime, sign up for Roy's alerts, and try to write to your
representatives a couple of times a week and ask them to support the
libertarian position on the bills reviewed by Roy.

Sign up for VCDL's alerts, also, and use their wonderful "write your reps"
service to help lobby for the restoration of full gun rights in Virginia.

Sign up for EV's alerts as well.

And don't forget to write your legislators to ask them to support repeal of the
corporate income tax.