yes, i have misstated the problem in my initial question a bit, sorry.
I know about the ansible_python_interpreter and it does take care of the
simplejson error, as instead of using the interpreter that is available in
PATH it uses what i have specified.
So the only question about that variable right now for me is if this can be
set globally? I'll take a look at the ansible.cfg related docs.

as for the PATH or ansible_env.PATH my current understanding is that the
idea is to avoid creation of playbooks that might depend too heavily on t
the PATH and therefore may become error prone. The way to change though is
through "environment: PATH".
Am I correct?

Thanks!