On 30/05/2017 22:42, Axel Beckert wrote:
So maybe we should be a little bit more verbose with the short
description in the menu or maybe even split "Cancel pending actions"
into two separate menu entries:

* Cancel pending actions of this session
* Cancel all pending actions

or similar.

It will be wonderful to have two entries, because "Cancel all
pending actions" is quite self explanatory, will match the previous
behaviour

I couldn't remember that we changed that, but this change was indeed a
bugfix in 0.7.6 from February 2016:

      * [curses] "Cancel pending actions" now reloads the cache (roughly
        equivalent to restarting the program), rather than marking all packages
        as "keep" plus ruining all auto-installed flags and holds
        (Closes: #537735, #576319)

Hi Axel, maybe I misunderstood the part where you talked about splitting "Cancel pending actions": when you said "Cancel all pending actions", you meant also from previous sessions, wasn't it? In this case, from a user point of view, it would almost match the previous behaviour, at least for the fact that there wasn't a concept of session for that command.
That's what I wanted to say.

However, if it weren't so late in the release cycle, I believe that the best solution would be the one exposed by Drew Parsons, because I fear that who will upgrade from 8 to 9 might find this change surprising.
I hope I'm wrong.

Post-Stretch: how about replacing "Cancel pending actions" with "Keep all" or "Keep all pending", that does exactly what "Keep" does but for all packages waiting for install/upgrade/remove/purge? And it would do the same of the corresponding command line option.

Cesare.