On 1/22/2016 1:32 PM, Klatsky, Carl wrote:

Wes and all,

My comment is in regard to Polina’s comment “The WG currently has two AQMs (dropping/marking policy) in last call. Did someone evaluate these AQMs according to the specified guidelines?”. As I read over draft-ietf-aqm-eval-guidelines, I did not think the objective of this memo was to arrive at consensus to select one specific AQM. I thought the objective was to publish guidelines for implementers & service providers on how they can select an AQM that is best for their environment. And further that both AQMs in last call would complete the process as valid AQMs for implementers & service providers as available to use in their environment, with the guidelines helping them to decide which is best for them. Some may chose PIE, some may chose FQ_CODEL. And possibly other future AQMs would go through the IETF process for publication, and that would be an additional option for implementers & service providers to evaluate according to the guidelines as best for their environment.

Is my understand of draft-ietf-aqm-eval-guidelines correct?

Yes, you're correct! My assumption is that someone like a service provider would have an idea of some of the ranges of values (rates, delays, asymmetries, etc) appropriate for their environment, and would be able to use the evaluation guidelines effectively.

I do also (personally) think that if there's a desire to go standards-track (rather than just experimental) with AQM algorithms, that having a fairly explicit evaluation of the algorithms with regard to the guidelines would be very helpful, exactly as Polina asked about. But I don't think this has really happened, and don't think it's necessary at all for experimental RFCs.