Just for those following this email, I installed the Fedora Beta LXDE image
on a RPI-3+, copied/modified the .dtb file, and booted with no issues on
boot. Used a USB-to-Ethernet adapter to run "dnf update", which caused the
onboard ethernet to start working. No trouble found so far. Will keep
updated as I continue to mess with this...

Geoff Marr
IRC: coremodule