On Fri, Feb 11, 2022 at 01:42:39AM -0000,  Be wrote:
> Whether Tow Boot or uboot is on the SPI flash isn't really relevant to
> distros. The point is that distros shouldn't have to worry about shipping
> uboot, just like Fedora doesn't ship UEFI firmware for x86-64. Tow Boot has
> some UX advantages for mobile devices that may or may not be wanted in
> upstream uboot. Please read Samuel's blog post if you haven't already:
> https://samuel.dionne-riel.com/blog/2021/05/10/unveiling-tow-boot.html

Sure. Although if we are asking them to ship with something perhaps our
pleas will influence what they decide to do.

> Regarding imagefactory and oz, it looks like those are for cloud images? I'm
> confused what that has to do with mobile phones. I'm talking about the
> Workstation/Plasma/XFCE images on https://alt.fedoraproject.org/alt/

So, yeah, fedora makes tons of different kinds of images. We have dvd
isos, we make live images that expect to be booted to a live env (which
you can then later install from), qcow2's for virt/cloud, raw disk
images (where you expect to dd or use arm-image-installer to transfer to
a usd card and run it), etc.

We use a bunch of different tools for this currently, depending on the
image:

If it's a install dvd (like the server install dvd), it's made by pungi.
If it's a live media (expecting to copy to a usb or the like and run
live, later optional install) it's made by livemedia-creator.
If it's a raw image (like current single board arm things we support)
it's made by imagefactory.

Our existing arm supported devices have followed the 'run
arm-image-installer' to install a raw image to a usd and run from there.
It might make sense to do something different for the pp and ppp...

> As for encryption, we could encrypt the filesystem in a loopback image or
> with Tow Boot's USB Mass Storage mode if Plymouth could show an on screen
> keyboard to decrypt it.

Yeah. Lots to work out.

kevin