Hi Bernhard, all,

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 11:40 PM, Bernhard Dippold
<bernh...@familie-dippold.at> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I created a wiki page covering some important points to be considered on the
> way towards the new project:
>
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Design_Artwork_and_Branding_Project_Proposal
>
> I'm sure I didn't think at all of them, so:
>
> Please comment, improve, discuss - whatever ;-)

I have a few general comments/questions, so I'll list them here
under the sections they correspond to on the wiki page.

== First Steps ==

You have listed the Art project here; at the moment it is not clear
what will happen to the art project itself - will it remain, or will
it be integrated into this new project? This is probably still
something to sort out, but it's something that deserves consideration.
If the art project stays, would it still be a subset of marketing or
would it too become a stand-alone project?

The User interface project is an interesting case, because this is
where Stella's work comes under - it is at the top of the list on the
UI project homepage [1]. Yet the d...@ui mailing list is very
inactive... so I'm not sure how/where this project stands. Many of the
other sections appear to have very old documents. According to [2],
the UI team has not met for 5+ years!

[1] http://ui.openoffice.org/VisualDesign/index.html
[2] http://ui.openoffice.org/protocols/index.html

One other thing we might consider is looking at branding related
projects in other open source projects - for example, I recently had a
look at Ubuntu [3] and Fedora's [4] art projects. While the ubuntu
project is more like ours (limited impact on artwork - most artwork is
done by paid designers at Canonical), the Fedora artwork project is
much more actively involved in branding (e.g. designing the branding
for each release). Other projects might provide additional insights
into different approaches we might take.

[3] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork
[4] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork

== After establishing the new project & Next Activities ==

The wiki page says:
"Revise present artwork and design elements with regards to their
usability for a general branding design."

As I see it, this is a very complex and potentially problematic
matter. Do we try to make existing artwork consistent using current
artwork as a basis, or do we start again (e.g. begin with the logo and
then evolve other designs from the tone set by the logo)? This has
clear implications for the creation of a style guide.

== Continuous work ==

I was interested in Christoph's idea of having a branding/identity
person on relevant i-Teams. We could also try to have goals for each
OOo release. I have been thinking about certain areas of
OOo that could do with some artwork, and many of them are listed on my
wiki page [5]. For example, the UX list had discussions about a
dashboard (something to improve the Start Center that opens when OOo
loads) [6], and about the application background (currently a dreary
gray) [7]. My own idea is to improve the design of help pages (which I
think are encoded in HTML and could therefore be styled with CSS). The
branding project could have its own goals for each release cycle to
take a certain aspect of OOo and improve it from our perspective.

[5] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User:Ivanm#Visual_Design_Ideas
[6] http://ux.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?listName=discuss&msgNo=2654
and http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User_Experience/StartCenter
on the wiki
[7] http://ux.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?listName=discuss&msgNo=3760

I have written quite a lot more than I had expected, so I'll leave it
there for now, but I'm sure it will be an interesting ongoing
discussion. Thank you Bernhard!

Regards,
Ivan.