Just to throw my hat in on this whole bit, I've added this to "My Talk" and
may update as I go...

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User_talk:Traag1

Ever since Oracle took over Sun and OOo 3.2.1 was announced, there has been
a buzz about the new colorless icons. Most of the feedback I've seen has
been negative since, let's face it, Oracle is breaking a widely used and
recognized color format in favor of colorless icons, all of which say "ODF"
and look very reminiscent of Adobe's file icon set (Which are, by the way,
themselves color coded). While they do look clean, and perhaps more
professional, than the old icon set, they add nothing to the usability or
accessibility of the suite. In fact, they seem to do quite the opposite,
forcing you to squint to see what is what. Without the adjacent text to
explain what each icon is, most people might be completely lost,
particularly on Windows machines where extensions for "known file types" are
hidden by default. I appreciate that Oracle is taking OOo under their wing
and putting any effort to release new versions and make the look and feel of
the product more their own, but I do question the wisdom of colorless icons,
and I also question the effort put into the new start center. In my humble
opinion, the new start center, and icons, look rushed. Evidence of this can
be found not only in the very sparse look of the start center and it's lack
of color, but also in the minute details. Look, for instance, at the
placement of the text next to the icons. They appear as if they were
haphazardly thrown there. Also, on the Mac, the blue selection glow around
the "box" that pops up when you hover over something kind of gets cut off.
Look at the picture here:

 [1] <http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/File:Unbalanced.png>

Notice how the text and selection boxes line up perfectly, but the icons
kind of float wherever. It's just kind of sparse and clunky, and I think
even a light tinting of color would have been nice. I'll be the first to
admit that past versions of OOo sometimes went way too far with the color
and busy graphics, and I applaud Oracle for scaling it down a bit, but I
kind of feel as though they may have scaled it down a bit too much. Time
will tell whether this is a beginning or an end, but I feel that it is a
beginning, and I encourage the Oracle team and all of the OOo community to
keep moving forward.

To end on a positive note, I will say that I love the new "Gull Orb" thingy
and the new, friendlier logo.

-Brian