>so admins can't read the changelog BEFORE installing

Oh ... admins who expects to find information at the 'Info and Stats'
screen would be able to read the current installed and the last available
change log  :):):)
(Server Information)

> but where is this shown outside of logs

GUI -> TopMenu -> a LINK in GREEN letters 'new available ASSP version
$availversion'
AutoUpdateASSP must not be disabled to see this link - because if admins
don't care about new versions - I don't have any reason to do that.

Daniel -  EVERY new feature , EVERY bug fix and EVERY new link or change
in the GUI is documented in the changelog -> RTFM first!

Thomas