I'm running the latest version of ASSP and I've possibly spotted a bug;
some clients try authenticating with "PLAIN" login, fail, retry using
the "LOGIN" mechanism and succeed, here's a log snippet

info: authentication - plain is used
info: authentication (PLAIN) realms - foruser:u...@domain.xyz,
user:u...@domain.xyz
[SMTP Error] 535 Authentication failed. Restarting authentication process.
info: authentication - login is used
info: authentication (LOGIN) realms - user:u...@domain.xyz
authenticated to 192.0.2.1

now, the problem is that (apparently) after the successful
authentication ASSP does not reset the "failed login count" for the
sending IP, so, if the client sends a number of messages, after a while
ASSP locks out the IP due to "too many auth failures"; now this sounds
like a bug to me, since, after the IP successfully authenticates, its
"fail count" should be reset to zero