On Jan 2, 2007, at 10:15 PM, blackwater dev wrote:

I have trixbox working how I want. How do I now (cheaply as possibly) get a phone number so people can call it from any number? I am just doing a prototype so just want it done cheaply so I can demo it to my supervisors.

I just went thru this recently. I ended up buying a compatible modem on Ebay. You can find them easily if you search for FXO or X100 but then you may also end up paying a premium to get one that is specifically being sold to the Asterisk community. (keep in mind "premium" being around $30, so we still aren't talking about an outrageous price)

What I did was checked the voip-info.org wiki on modem based FXOs and then searched ebay for modems listed with the correct chipsets. I lucked out and found one for $2.00 (with shipping I think it cost me $8.00 total). Mine is shows up as a Motorola X100 (or something to that effect). Seems to work fine, although I wasn't able to get Caller-ID working correctly (but I think that was a settings issue and I stopped pursuing it as it wasn't important for my pitching Asterisk).

I too did this using Trixbox.

-chris
<www.mythtech.net>