Andreas van dem Helge wrote:
> Cisco gateway with T.38 support. That's the only real way to do faxing
> through asterisk.

Although this statement has marginally more truth to it given the
SIP-only context that the original poster provided, it is still
substantially inaccurate.

There are several ways to do T.38 other than with a Cisco gateway.  Now,
if you meant that T.38 is the only way in the SIP-only context (and not
specifically Cisco-branded T.38) then that has significantly more
accuracy to it.

However, if by *real* you also mean *reliable* then be aware that T.38
over SIP/UDP has an inherent weakness due to the medium that make it, in
my experience, significantly less-reliable than simply having a fax
machine hooked up to a traditional analog line.

When my clients come to me with the same issue I generally do not push
them into a corner with T.38.  In almost all cases they find that it is
worth the $20-50 monthly for the analog fax line... and if that expense
is too much then the on-line fax service provider is an easy recommendation.

Note that if you have a fax machine that performs some variant of T.37
(fax-over-email) and you have an on-line service provider that is
willing to work with you... then you can rather easily get your fax
machine faxing through their service.  (Which is yet another option.)

Thanks,

Lee.