Thanks for engaging with me on this.  I picked up the book and I see what you
mean about Appendix B.  I had under-appreciated it probably because of a
paradigm shift I need to make.  I think you meant Appendix E rather than F for
dialplan.

I still am not quite on the same page with you, though.  There are a lot of
commands that aren't function calls that go into various config files.  The
most basic and obvious one is
    exten
There must be a hundred of these and I don't know where they are listed with
all acceptable parameters and ranges and what they do and why.  There are
examples to get one started, but I don't think I can put my hands on even a
definitive definition of exten.  Am I making any sense?  Maybe these are called
variables or something.

I'm scared to even look for the setting for an NT1 ISDN BRI, which is the
mountain I have to climb next.

Wilton