Very little as the amount of data being captured is quite small. We have it running on our production servers which routinely handle a couple of hundred concurrent calls.

This is the script we use to start off the capture. It uses rolling capture files so we will always have the last X number of capture logs. It works very well and we have a custom system which enables us to search for calls and request traces for them for when we have to diagnose problems.

#!/bin/bash
cd /var/lib/asterisk/siptraces
DATE=`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S`
TRACEFILE=/var/lib/asterisk/siptraces/$DATE-siptrace.pcap
nohup /usr/sbin/tcpdump -p -i eth0 -s 0 port 5060 -w $TRACEFILE -C 10 -W 500 &